Whether you’re a cycling enthusiast, a keen surfer, or an avid camper, we have the best DIY roof rack ideas that can help you make your own customized rack to meet your specific needs.
DIY Roof Rack Ideas
Explore this amazing list of DIY Roof Rack ideas. In today’s era of self-reliance, there’s much to be appreciated about the ability to create, innovate, and customize from the comfort of your own home. Whether you’re an adventurer needing more storage space or just trying to optimize your car’s capability, a roof rack is a wonderful addition. These roof rack ideas are not only budget-friendly, but they also will give you the flexibility and functionality you’re after.
The basic supplies needed for making roof rack are:
- Roof Rack Crossbars: These are the foundation of your DIY roof rack.
- Mounting Brackets: They secure the rack to the vehicle’s roof.
- Nuts and Bolts: These connect the crossbars to the mounting brackets and will hold the entire setup together.
- Plastic Pipes or Metal Tubes: To design the frame or the additional structures upon the crossbars.
- Measurement Tape: To measure the roof, crossbars, and fixtures accurately to ensure secure installation.
- Drill: To create perfect-fit holes for the bolts, ensuring a secure hold of the roof rack.
- Saw: Cut the plastic pipes or metal tubes (if using) to the proper size.
Homemade Roof Rack
A DIY Homemade Roof Rack is a practical helper for any car journey. It easily holds those extra bags for a family trip or aids in transporting bulkier items that are tough to fit inside. It’s like having an extra room above the car that can be a lifesaver when you hit the road!
Making this handy buddy will surprise you with its simplicity. You need to work with some sturdy pieces of HDPE plastic and a few bolts to secure them. As for the rack, a square steel tube does magic. With measured cuts, a dose of painting, and some final touches with PLA-printed end pieces, you get a robust rack! Affordable yet durable!
Accessorized Roof Rack
The DIY Accessorized Roof Rack is a real game-changer. Capable of handling diverse loads, from sports gear like skis and kayaks to camping equipment and luggage, it rounds out any road trip or adventure, offering flexible storage solutions beyond your car’s boot.
To bring it to life, begin with sturdy aluminum- it forms the backbone. Create a solid base using aluminum blocks, and then think of hockey pucks for height and cushioning! Fix rails and add end caps to fine-tune it. Finish with various handy and clever attachments, making use of salvaged items. Now, everything from sports gear to bulky luggage has a secure and accessible spot on your ride.
Tools and Materials:
- Table Saw
- Miter saw
- Router with various bits
- Metal cutting saw
- Drill and various-sized drill bits
- Salvaged material – oak pallet wood, the aluminum channel and square tubing, broken deck swing, armrests from broken office chairs, plywood scraps.
- Linseed oil
- Various-sized bolts and U-bolts
- Aircraft cable
Simple, Cheap DIY Rack
Known for its low cost and simplicity, the DIY roof rack can enrich your travel experience. It can secure everything from solar panels to tents and creates space in your van to make your trips more enjoyable.
Producing this cheap, easy-to-make roof rack begins with procuring galvanized steel pipes and assembling them with connectors. The rack is affixed to the roof with bolts and silicon to ensure sturdiness and waterproofing. Once set up, it can carry vital items securely, increasing the practicality of your van in a stylish, cost-effective way.
- 2x – 1/2 in x 4 ft (13mm x 1200mm) Galvanized steel pipes (length will vary based on preferences)
- 4x – 1/2 in x 8 in (13mm X 200mm) Galvanized steel pipes (length will vary based on preferences)
- 4x – Galvanized steel 2 in (13mm x 50mm) nipples (length will vary based on preferences)
- 4x – Galvanized steel tee branches
- 4x – Galvanized steel flanges
- 4x – Galvanized steel caps
- 16 x – Philips round head bolts w/ nuts to secure the flanges
- 12x – 3/4 in (20mm) U-bolts to secure solar panels to the roof rack
Functional DIY Roof Rack
A functional DIY roof rack solves space issues; it’s your large items’ best friend! Accommodating luggage carriers, carrying bikes, or simply holding that extra camping gear, this handy addition transforms your car into a versatile transport device and adds a touch of rugged charm.
To create this functional gem, start with premium pine boards of various sizes, secure them together using cabinet screws, and consider coating them for a fine finish. The finished product is surprisingly sturdy, lightweight, and a sheer adventure enabler. Plus, it’s easy to tweak and customize, perfect for the journey ahead.
- Premium Pine boards (for the base)
- Premium Pine boards (for the sides)
- Premium Pine boards (for the deck slats)
- cabinet screws
Small Car Roof Rack
A DIY Small Car Roof Rack is a trusty companion to your adventures. Great for carrying larger objects like lumber, drywall, or your favorite kayak, it transforms your small car into a real workhorse.
Initiating creation, sturdy wood forms the base, strapped tightly onto the existing roof rails of your car. Using screws, cross-pieces are fastened at each side to craft a resilient square structure. Securing the rack to the vehicle with high-strength straps or bungees, you finally establish a rack that’s resilient, accommodating, and convenient for transporting heavy, long objects of choice.
Roof Rack to Hold Anything
A homemade roof rack brings endless possibilities to your adventures. From carrying massive loads for camping trips to securely holding luggage on a family vacation, the uses are countless. Anything that needs transport and can fit on the rack, this DIY project can handle with grace and ease.
Building this roof rack is as straightforward as it is rewarding. Start by gathering metal channels commonly found at local home supply stores. Assemble the main frame and secure the rack using easy-to-find bolts, fasteners, and washers. Adding wooden rails on top helps safeguard the rack’s surface while providing a relaxed, rustic look. Finish the job with a coat of primer and paint, then ready yourself for the countless adventures your new roof rack will enable.
Simple DIY Roof Rack
A DIY roof rack is a boon for travel lovers, offering extra space for their gear and bulky items. It securely holds your stuff, freeing space inside your vehicle and making your travels comfortable and well-organized.
In producing your roof rack, kick things off by getting metal channels or “uni-strut” from a local store. Position and fasten these struts over your vehicle’s roof using factory-available mounting points and brackets. For longevity, seal them with a “non-hardening sealant.” The final touch includes painting the rack and fitting wooden runners to guard your gear against scrapes. Your sturdy, custom-made roof rack is ready to transport your travel essentials safely.